Located in: Features
Posted on: September 30th, 2012 No Comments

Mixed media: Mass Comm gathers Thursday

Campus media has been a long-standing and ever-changing force at CMU. Beginning over 80 years ago with the formation of the Criterion, it is still diversifying and expanding to this day with the recent of addition of CMU-TV last semester and PR club not long before that.

Members of the Criterion and Horizon Magazine get real-life journalism and business experience. They attend events, write stories, design pages, take photos, sell advertisements, and edit copy for active publications that run similar to their professional counterparts.

For two years in a row, Horizon Magazine won first place in the Society of Professional Journalist Mark of Excellence Award for Best Overall Student Magazine in Region Nine. Horizon is distributed once each semester and has a different theme each year.

KMSA staff participates in all of the activities that you would encounter in the daily life of a radio station employee, but with more freedom. The DJs are allowed to have specialty shows, which means they get to play what they want and get to produce teasers and underwriting spots.

“I just like taking people’s requests and playing songs,” DJ Brian Casaus said. “It’s really fun to know people are listening.”

The Literary Review is a publication released once a year featuring the best short stories, poems and artwork submitted by students throughout the year.

“PR Club’s mission is to get awareness of other clubs spread around campus,” PR Club President Ashley Foley said.

Last year, they helped the newly formed Forensics Club get their name out on campus by helping design their logo and slogan and advertise on campus.

CMU-TV is the newest addition to campus media, forming last semester. CMU-TV offers students a chance to get practical experience filming, directing, editing and writing scripts for their weekly production of news around campus.

To celebrate campus media and help recruit new members, PR club is inviting everyone to the first annual Mass Comm Mixer from 4-7 p.m. Thursday in front the Fine Arts Building.

“We are trying to get the word out about the different media on campus,” Foley said. “There will be food and games and swag.”