Located in: News
Posted on: December 2nd, 2012 No Comments

Biennial budget increases 15.91% without raising student fees

Associated Student Government passed its $1,022,491 biennial budget plan on Nov. 7, a 15.91 percent increase from its last budget of $882,120. The new budget will begin in the fall of 2013 and allows for the addition of two organizations.

“We were able to add two new programs, MavRides and the concert series,” ASG president Telbe Storbeck said.

The process of finalizing the budget started on Sept. 10, according to ASG senator Ashley Sutton-Daniels.

“Each organization is supposed to submit a [budget] proposal,” Sutton-Daniels said.

The Fee Allocation Committee, who looks over the proposals, is made up of several different groups, including representatives from fine arts, student media, ASG, WCCC, the Montrose campus, and presidential selection, and the Campbell board, which is a compilation of other organizations on campus.

“The FAC asks presenters questions, then every budget is looked over individually before [ASG] looks at it as a whole,” Storbeck said.

This year, the budgets went through one initial and three additional readings before passing through to ASG.

“It is up to senators at that point to look it over and give it a thumbs up or down,” Storbeck said.

After ASG approval, the budget then goes to the ASG president for final approval.

The budget proposal has to pass with at least a two-thirds majority. This time, the budget was voted through ASG unanimously, 18-0.

“That’s a big deal, because if they voted no, the whole thing would have to be redone,” ASG Vice President Ariel Diamond said.

With this new budget comes good news for students.

“A big point of this budget is we did not increase fees,” Diamond said.

“But we didn’t cut groups either,” Sutton-Daniels added.

Instead, certain groups saw a decrease in their budget while others saw a rise.

“The Literary Review took a slight decrease, as did the pep band,” Storbeck said.

ASG’s budget decreased as well, dropping from $64,688 to $56,469.

However, the Outdoor Program, the Club Advisory Board and Horizon magazine budgets each increased by 4.24, 3.28 and 44.96 percent respectively.

Horizon magazine needed a raise because the organization was publishing two magazines on a one-magazine budget.

While the entire process took a lot of work, Storbeck thought everything went efficiently.

“I was really proud of everyone, especially FAC members,” Storbeck said. “I think it was a smooth process.”

kirick@mavs.coloradomesa.edu