Located in: Opinions
Posted on: May 3rd, 2010 No Comments

Stepping through the flame: How God helped me graduate

One season ends and another, in all its glory, begins. Over the last two years I have written a lot of columns ranging from cell phone mania to the expected birth of my second son. All of them have a common message, I think. Self reliance is a joke.
All events in our lives have a purpose, and all purpose is from God. I don’t think that me sitting here writing will change you, but it has changed me. It is almost like writing in a journal.             Sometimes you find out a lot about yourself through written conversations to yourself. But I got to have these conversations with you.
I think that people either think I am very brave and commend my work, while others might think I am stupid or foolish. It doesn’t matter, though. I stayed true to myself, I never was afraid to write what I believe, so I guess I was true to you too.
College is a journey I will not soon forget, but I am ready for it to be over. After college I want to dedicate my future to good. I am not perfect. I will fall on my face, I have before, but I have learned a lot from failure.
I walked into school my first year thinking I was already ahead of the game. Six years, a marriage, one dog, and two boys later I am finishing college aware of how much I still have to learn.
Although I can’t wait to be sitting at home drinking Dr. Pepper at my graduation party, I will miss the class room, getting an A on a test, challenging myself to get an assignment done, and I will miss the people who are always willing to lend a helping hand.
I remember the first time I picked up the Criterion. I didn’t pay attention to the name of the paper, but I would read it every now and then, and feel a bit jealous of the columnists and their ability to let their voices be heard.
It wasn’t until I became a mass communication major that one of my professors asked if I would be interested in writing for the Criterion. I had no idea what he was talking about until he clarified the Criterion was the student news paper. I thought it was an exclusive club, but come to find out it was easier than I would have ever expected to become a columnist. But it all hinged on me asking. I could have chickened out, but being brave isn’t about fear; it’s about stepping through that flame.
I 100-percent attribute graduating to God. There are so many doors He has opened and closed on my behalf. No way would I be sitting here writing you if it wasn’t for Him. I fervently hold that to be true.
This is the last time I will write for the Mesa State campus and maybe the last you will ever hear from me. But that is all right. While I had your attention I made important points, and some wrote me in disgust. But more often than not I have received messages of encouragement. And I want to offer you a message of encouragement, too.
You only own what you carry with you. Mesa State has facilitated me in enhancing my abilities, but still I will live and die like the rest. So, like I said above, self reliance is a joke.
I feel pretty good about what I carry in my heart, He walked on water 2000 years ago, and I rely on Him.